Skip to main content

Original Viennese Applestrudel (Strudel de manzanas)








Many days ago I have the recipe and the photos ready but it was enough that I sit on the computer and began to stiffen and cough.
I have a terrible cold. But I found that  spent a lot of time.
So here's the recipe: Apple strudel, I love everything with apples and I've made applestrudel  several recipes but I love this.
The dough is so good that it was almost so much I rolled  (a very thin dough), but the second time I was more careful.
I hope to make other strudel  with cherries soon .
I hope you like it as we all  loved here.



Note:
I have to say I made this strudel  one day and I could not take pictures  !! they ate it at night.
Anyway, the next day I went back to do what you see and I was able to take pictures when it was still warm!

A big hug to all of you!


Adapted from  Little Viena











Ingredients
strudel dough
1  1/2  tablespoon  neutral tasting vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vinegar 
1/8 teaspoon table salt
1 cup more 2 tablespoons bread flour or all purpose flour

flour for dusting 
1 egg with some milk for brushing the dough

For the filling

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup fine breadcrumbs or panko
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons raisins or dried cranberries
3 tablespoons rum for soaked  the raisins 
or cranberries
4 o 5 medium/big  apples  (Fuji, Braeburn or Macintosh)
1 tablespoon lemon juice 
2 tablespoons melted butter (for brushing the dough)

confectioner's sugar for dusting 
whipped cream for serving (optional)


For the dough

Mix lukewarm water, oil, vinegar, flour and salt in abig bowl. Knead the dough until smooth for about 10 minutes, either in the bowl or an a clean working surface.
If you need add some flour, the dough should  be moist but not sticky. Slam the dough onto the worksurface a few times yielding a very elastic dough

Let the dough rest for 30 to 45 minutes while you make the filling,.

For the filling

Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat and add the breadcrumbs or panko. Toasted them stirring constantly, until they are golden. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Mix sugar and cinnamon together, then add it to the buttered breadcrumbs and stir well. Set aside.

Soak the raisins or cranberries in rum  for about a5 minutes to soften.
Peel the apples, quarter and core them. Chop in slices and cover them with lemon juice to prevent the apples from getting brown. Add the soaked raisins (discard remaining rum) and mix well.
Stretching and filling the dough: 
Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a clean and lightly floured surface.
Flour the surface and the dough every now and then  while rolling. 
When the dough gets about  13 to 15 inch in diameter( 38 cm )  

pick it up and use the back of yours hands to stretch it so you can stretch the dough like a pizza.
When the dough gets bigger and thinner and thus difficult to handle, put it down on a lightly floured tablecloth and straighten out the wrinkles in both the tablecloth and the dough.
Gently stretch the dough paper thin from the inside to the outside, working your way around the sheet of dough.
In the end the sheet of dough should be stretched into a rectangular shape, with the shorter edge fitting a baking sheet  lenghtwise.

Brush half of the dough with half the melted butter. Spread the breadcrumb mixture over the other half of the dough and pat down evenly. One side is brushed with butter noiw, the other side is covered with breadcrumbs, Leave a 1 to 1 1/2 edge around  the dough. Spread the apples over the breadcrumbs.

Fold in the side-ends of the dough. Using the tablecloth roll the dough starting at the apple topped end all the way. Then gently roll the strudel onto a sheet of parchment paper with the sea side down.
Put the dough onto a baking sheet and brush with the remaining melted butter.
(In my second strudel I brush with a beaten egg with a little milk and was more golden )

 Heat the oven to 180° c (375 °F)
Put the baking sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes .

When the crust turn golden the apple strudel is ready.
Take it out of the oven  and let it cool slightly cut it into pieces and serve dusted with confectioner's sugar and or a dollop of  whipped cream.

Print recipe











These little pictures are from the site where I  adapted the recipe
I found so good to show the filling dough



















Strudel de manzanas












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pears and strawberry Crumble (Crumble de peras , almendras, coco y frutillas)

If you ask me right now  which season I like best, I would say it is autumn so far.  Sincerely at this time I would be happy to be in Autumn and winter will come. But we are at the end of spring and starting with a very hot summer ,  and   with all the problems we are living here  in our  country now   is very hard. (Many fights here in many sites that is worry me) You can go out one day and you do not know if there will be subway or buses.  Or maybe you have an appointment with the kinesiologist and nobody tells you that he left earlier or that date was suspended, anyway. And when you ask why happens this, all say but you know the times we are living. Im not agree with it. In the middle of this I try to keep doing things like baking, reading and pray (like always reading is my my joy) And  I pray a lot by different reasons. Please pray   for for our country  we need it.  I made my first strawberry jam and I hope to make apricots jam soon. And I  made this crumble a few weeks ago (time

Baked-Egg Tartlets ( Tartas con huevo al horno y ensaladas)

Spring is just starting  here in the Southern hemisphere. But even the mornings are very cold.  But the most beautiful are the roses that have begun to bloom little by little. When we arrived at this house there was nothing, absolutely nothing around, no plants, trees, or flowers. The house was abandoned several years.(all these was about 10 years ago)  And these roses were brought to me( 10 years ago) by a lady who lived close our house  and said : you have to plant these roses, are amazing. We made. They are like a miracle. They have also multiplied over these years. Baked egg tartlets About the recipe are   simple and delicious individual tarts  with a mustard sauce and  egg inside that is baking in the oven. Are really  delicious. I love to serve  with  asparagus and some salads. A big hug to all and have a nice weekend! Source : Victoria magazine  : Baked-egg Tartlets Thyme Tartlet shells 2 1/2 cupsall purpose flour 1 teaspoon ground thyme 1 teaspoon coarse salt 1 teaspoon sugar 1

Chocolate brownie muffins ( brownies /muffins de chocolate)

I had several recipes ready but it took me some time  start the posts, honestly it's hard  think what to talk about, maybe from here? of the current situation, of sorrows and distress, or  about Christmas that is so close and I love Christmas? Although I am not normally depressed, it is hard to keep the spirit when you watch the news, when there are fires, looting and other things, how did this come about? I dont know. Apart from praying, reading and baking (catharsis) I try to think about Christmas. Even in the most difficult times people celebrate Christmas, and I believe in God and the birth of Jesus, so I will try to take care of the Christmas spirit. Well, apart from continuing to make jams (apricots are maturing) and I don't like to bury the fruit so that's what I'm in. This recipe for "Brownie muffins" has the best of everything, it is a muffin with the taste of a brownie. Thank you all for your mails, love and concern, hugs and  kisses to all ! Source